[CLUE-Tech] Problems with Sarge

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Jun 8 10:17:17 MDT 2004

> You could boot a Knoppix CD, copy the X configuration off to another
> machine somewhere and then replace the Debian installer's one with the
> Knoppix configuration file, if Knoppix X works correctly.

XFree86Config-4 only, or.... ?

> That's a trick I learned from someone that saved me hours of tinkering
> with Debian's broken installer on a machine with an Nvidia card that
> it was unhappy with.
>
> Actually, one guy took that idea a step further and uses Knoppix to
> get a auto-detected system and uses debbootstrap to bring up a clean
> Debian install from a Knoppix boot:
>
> http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Thanks.  Actually I've been looking at some of these sorts of things.
The only problem is they require you to have a high speed internet
connection since it seems you typically "Install Knoppix" and then
"Upgrade it to Debian unstable" or "Use it to install Debian" from an
internet connection.  I'm not getting rid of dialup for another couple
of months.

Angelo