[CLUE-Tech] rhat 9 ftp install --> unable to retrieve netstg2.img

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:54:01 MDT 2004

That double slash has always been there in RH installs. It has thrown me
for a loop a few times, but I've always found another problem to be the
real cause. I just threw a RH9 CD in a spare machine and the URL you
give works fine. It took awhile for the netstg2.img to come down which
we making me wonder, but if finally got the whole thing and went to the
next screen. In face I also noticed that before it gets the netstg2.img
it gets another one, using the same double slash URL. Can you somehow
verify that your networking setup is correct? That is the most likely
cause of your problem. Unfortunately you can't get a prompt from the
install until after the netstg2.img loads so that option is out. Can you
try to boot into rescue mode? If you only have a net install CD that
won't work because it needs the same file from the network. You'll need
a full RH9 disc1 and at the boot: prompt type "linux rescue". Otherwise
just check from another machine on the same subnet that you're trying to
use to make sure you can get this URL from a live system, then double
check the IP, subnet, default GW, and DNS server that you're using.

Good Luck!