[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Jun 10 19:41:13 MDT 2004

That's right, I'm top posting.  My comment is an general one, not
necessarily picking and choosing from the below lines.

I use gentoo.  I've been running gentoo for a while.  I have it on this
laptop, on my normal workstation, on my file server, on my Sun
enterprise 2, on my (now dead) alpha, I've installed it on anything I
can get it to go on. When I get my power supply for my SGI O2, I'll
stick gentoo on that.

I like gentoo for a few different reasons:
1.  It is source based, but requires very little intervention from me.
2.  Dependencies are solved automagically.
3. I don't have to surf the net to get new packages.
4. It doesn't have problems like RPM and APT have (and yes, I know how
to use both).
5.  HArd to install programs (gnucash, mplayer, xine) work fine and
install easy.

I'm a lazy person. To get what I want in fedora, Red Hat, slackware,
debian, I have to go through this huge process at install.  It takes me
several hours of annoying tweaking and installing to get those systems
running, only to find I forgot some stuff and have to get it.  With
gentoo, I get things started (I can do it by heart on alpha, sparc, and
x86) and I just queue things up.  I start it before I go to bed, wake
up, see things running, do what  I need to do, and by the end of the
day, it's done, I have X running, and all of my apps. Yes, there is
waiting involved.  But c'mon.  I'd rather spend 12 hours waiting for a
slew of programs to install than search for 3 hours trying to find all
dependencies for fedora, then finding a working mirror, etc.

Some people say that Gentoo is for Mandrake newbies that have moved on,
thinking they are leet (also, that gentoo is the 'rice rocket' version
of the computer geek).  Eh. Whatever. I'm just lazy.

I've run a lot of distros (slack red hat 6 6.2 7.2 7.4 8) suse debian
turbolinux beehive fedora) , and I think I've settled on gentoo. Give it
a whirl; I think you find you'll like it.  I did.