[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 10 20:30:54 MDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:41:13 -0400
Adam Bultman <adamb at glaven.org> wrote:

> I use gentoo.  I've been running gentoo for a while.  I have it on
> this laptop, on my normal workstation, on my file server, on my Sun
> enterprise 2, on my (now dead) alpha, I've installed it on anything I
> can get it to go on. When I get my power supply for my SGI O2, I'll
> stick gentoo on that.

Great to hear that you too have been successful with gentoo.

> I like gentoo for a few different reasons:
> 1.  It is source based, but requires very little intervention from me.
> 2.  Dependencies are solved automagically.
> 3. I don't have to surf the net to get new packages.
> 4. It doesn't have problems like RPM and APT have (and yes, I know how
> to use both).
> 5.  HArd to install programs (gnucash, mplayer, xine) work fine and
> install easy.
>
> I'm a lazy person. To get what I want in fedora, Red Hat, slackware,
> debian, I have to go through this huge process at install.  It takes
> me several hours of annoying tweaking and installing to get those
> systems running, only to find I forgot some stuff and have to get it.
> With gentoo, I get things started (I can do it by heart on alpha,
> sparc, and x86) and I just queue things up.  I start it before I go to
> bed, wake up, see things running, do what  I need to do, and by the
> end of the day, it's done, I have X running, and all of my apps. Yes,
> there is waiting involved.  But c'mon.  I'd rather spend 12 hours
> waiting for a slew of programs to install than search for 3 hours
> trying to find all dependencies for fedora, then finding a working
> mirror, etc.

Exactly my sentiments. I've written almost this identical menu (well,
not multiple architectures) to another user group. I too am lazy, and
I've spent my last effort going through RPM or APT hell to find a
package I want to run. It's not just the dependencies. Some RPMs just
plain won't run on anything except a certain level of a certain
distribution.

gnome and kde can be a bitch to install, also, even for gentoo. Since I
don't need them on a daily basis, I just wait for the pilgrims to catch
the arrow, then install them a few weeks later.

--
 /\/\
( CR ) Collins Richey