[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jun 10 20:59:31 MDT 2004

On Jun 10, 2004, at 8:30 PM, Collins Richey wrote:
> gnome and kde can be a bitch to install, also, even for gentoo. Since I
> don't need them on a daily basis, I just wait for the pilgrims to catch
> the arrow, then install them a few weeks later.

Just playing devil's advocate here... the problem I always had with
this approach was I found it took far more time to track the various
mailing lists and bugzilla and what-have-you to find out whether or not
people got stuck with the arrows than I could afford and still get
stuff done.

I'd rather spend the extra time chatting with you guys here in
CLUE-Tech!  (GRIN)

But seriously, anyone who knows me knows that one of the phrases I
learned from a friend a long time ago is always what I fall back on...
Linux is Linux.  There's a lot of debates about distros and what-not,
and pretty much it all boils down to -- use whatever you want, they're
all Linux.

That is, of course, both the best and the most frustrating thing about
Linux -- it's all things to all people because anyone can change it.
The hard part is that it's always changing and sometimes hard to keep
up with!  Heh.

Adam's problems with mplayer and having to track the progress of the
bug for weeks and weeks would drive me batty.  Well more precisely I'd
just go watch the silly DVD on the Mac running OS X and be done with
it.  (GRIN)  (With a terminal window up ssh'ed into the Linux box
working on other more useful "stuff" or answering e-mail or
whatever...)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com