[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 02:25:29 MDT 2004

Had a discussion about distributions yesterday afternoon.  Kind of
clarified my thinking about this, so it was really neat that the
question came up at this time.

My situation is that very little time is available to fix broken
installations.  If it doesn't go right the first time, i pretty much
have to move on.  I'm running about 30 donated machines of varying
vintages in 2 classrooms at a small private school.  So a few things
have become clear:

Slackware won't install if there's any doubt about the integrity of the
hard drive, which is probably a good thing.  Sometimes it won't install
on a particular machine, but something else will.  Still haven't gotten
that one running.

Debian can take way more time than most installations, and i haven't yet
gotten one to work -- but that's largely been because the machines i
tried to install it on were flaky and i was desperate at the time.

RH7.3 has worked well on machines about 2 generations back -- 200mHz for
example.  Elementary students seem to take to it, and also i've gotten a
lot of useful admin work done with it.

SuSe7.3 has been another champ on those medium vintage machines, and my
high school students really like the games that come with it.  Audio has
been great!

Corel will install on machines 3 or 4 generations back, often when
nothing else will, but it's really not worth it because there's so
little that comes with it.

Fedora Core has been excellent, and i've started pointing my
development-oriented students to it.  But some people would legitimately
object to the fact that it includes way too many packages.  In my
environment, that's actually a plus.

Xandros does a nice clean hassle-free install and i highly recommend it
as a business desktop replacement.  Its screen displays are the best of
all the distros i've tried.

Lycoris has a nice display, but not enough packages to keep the students
interested.

Finally, every classroom should have a couple of Knoppix disks around.
They really come in handy for many situations.