[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Jun 10 21:11:21 MDT 2004

> I'm a lazy person. To get what I want in fedora, Red Hat, slackware,
> debian, I have to go through this huge process at install.  It takes
> me several hours of annoying tweaking and installing to get those
> systems running, only to find I forgot some stuff and have to get it.
> With gentoo, I get things started (I can do it by heart on alpha,
> sparc, and x86) and I just queue

I think I just had a revelation after you said this.  I think a lot of
people (due to hardware, the way they think, their needs, etc.) choose
their favorite distro based on how trouble-free it is for them.  Some
people are quick at installing Fedora with whatever suits their
needs--for me it takes about 30 minutes to an hour.  Some people want
other packages which come readily with Debian, and have the hardware
(unlike myself) that plays nicely with Debian.  I haven't used gentoo,
but I have used mandrake, fedora, red hat, slackware, debian, lycoris,
freebsd, and netbsd... and I think the biggest deciding factor on which
one I want to use is how easily it is and how much time it takes for me
to get an "acceptable install" running.

People have mentioned that Gentoo has binary packages... does this still
require you to queue up a bunch of stuff and have a high speed internet
connection?

Angelo