[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Jun 10 21:39:45 MDT 2004

> People have mentioned that Gentoo has binary packages... does this
> still require you to queue up a bunch of stuff and have a high speed
> internet connection?

I think if you install the stage3 tarball, you install precompiled
packages. I'm told there are precompiled kde binaries out there, but
I've always done stage1, long time to wait installs.

I've had a few problems with emerging (I currently can't emerge the
newest GCC, and I haven't found out why yet - usually they fix
themselves after a few weeks), but it hasn't hampered my using gentoo.
Currently, alsa is being a pain in the butt, but I found out this
morning it is because I'm not using my USE keywords correctly - again,
with the laziness.

Adam