[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Thu Jun 10 23:42:49 MDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 18:16, Nate Duehr wrote:
*snip*
> 1. Compile and build and install somewhere you put everything that is
> non-standard... (/usr/local... /opt... whatever) -- you can obviously do
> this on any Linux system.
>
> 2. Build your own package.  On Gentoo you make an ebuild file that will
> build and install the source sanely.  On Debian you roll your own .deb
> using the tools provided.

If you're not into hand-rolling your own .debs, I'd recommend
checkinstall. It's available in Debian testing, and it's easy to use.
Basically, do the "./configure ; make" portion of the compile, then use
checkinstall instead of doing "make install" -- it will create a package
of your choice (Options are RPM, Deb, Slackware tgz) and then install
it. It's mainly designed to make it easier to uninstall packages, but I
also use it to create packages to install on multiple systems...

Good luck,

Zonker