[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 11 14:28:40 MDT 2004

>The whole FHS is here:
>
>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
>
>If you work with Linux system administration much, I highly recommend
>that you read it.

Thanks for the link, I'll make sure I keep it.  I have seen this
document before, but there were two confusing things about it:

1) The descriptions are descriptive, but sometimes I feel some software,
binary, library, etc. could fall into two categories.
2) Everyone seems to be interpreting FHS their own way, or just not
following it.

Some other things:

I have a /usr/opt on my machine, does anyone else have this too?

For me the OpenOffice binary is under /usr/lib of all places.

I recall reading something about UNIX a while back about things like
/bin really being links to things in /usr like /usr/bin.  Does that
sound familiar to anyone?

Angelo