[CLUE-Tech] distro question

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jun 11 10:13:18 MDT 2004

Adam Bultman wrote:
[...]
> I ran debian for no less than 6 months at work.  I had to, numerous
> times, find .deb packages and install them by hand.

How odd.  I've never done this (except perhaps to avoid using apt since
I didn't have easy access to a CD or network repository).

> At that point, I no longer see the point of apt-get. Apt-get isn't
> apt at a..  Furthermore: If I enter apt-get hell, it's completely
> useless. Package X requires Package Y, but package Y wasn't
> completely installed.  Install package Y: Failure.  Package Z wasn't
> completely uninstalled, etc.

I guess this answers my previous question about your apt problems.  I
haven't had this happen either, though I would think it's easier to fix
package Y than to start over (and file a bug report).

Lots of people here with "I had a glitch once so I quit using that
distro" reasoning.  You might consider reporting those glitches and
giving back to the community.  Obviously there are time and expertise
constraints, and it's easier to care with a distro you like rather than
one you are trying out.  But think about it and if OS has helped you
give a little back.