[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Fri Jun 11 10:26:42 MDT 2004

> Lots of people here with "I had a glitch once so I quit using that
> distro" reasoning.  You might consider reporting those glitches and
> giving back to the community.  Obviously there are time and expertise
> constraints, and it's easier to care with a distro you like rather
> than one you are trying out.  But think about it and if OS has helped
> you give a little back.

This isn't so much a 'I hit a glitch once so I quit' type thing. I ran
it for well over 6 months; and I had many problems with debian; part of
that being I had to update many things by hand since debian didn't have
it available. As well, since debian is so 'stable', that also meant
running considerably older versions of programs.  While running an older
version of gaim or gkrellm is tolerable, not being able to install
mozilla because of apt's problems was a huge deal.  In the end, I gave
up on mozilla through apt and just downloaded the binary and used it
instead.

I have a surprising tolerance for failure at times; I played with it
endlessly for days if not weeks. I did't run this at home, I ran this as
the only machine I had to use at work.  I *had* to get it running.

As far as submitting bug reports: That's my fault. I didn't submit a bug
report, but with so many people who are more than willing to dish out
insults and bile (which I've encountered before)  I'll just decide not
to give back sometimes.

Adam