[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 11:27:46 MDT 2004

[ snips ]

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:26:42 -0400
Adam Bultman <adamb at glaven.org> wrote:

> > Lots of people here with "I had a glitch once so I quit using that
> > distro" reasoning.  You might consider reporting those glitches and
> > giving back to the community.
> >

> This isn't so much a 'I hit a glitch once so I quit' type thing. I ran
> it for well over 6 months; and I had many problems with debian; part
> of that being I had to update many things by hand since debian didn't
> have it available. As well, since debian is so 'stable', that also
> meant running considerably older versions of programs.  While running
> an older version of gaim or gkrellm is tolerable, not being able to
> install mozilla because of apt's problems was a huge deal.  In the
> end, I gave up on mozilla through apt and just downloaded the binary
> and used it instead.
>
> I have a surprising tolerance for failure at times; I played with it
> endlessly for days if not weeks. I did't run this at home, I ran this
> as the only machine I had to use at work.  I *had* to get it running.
>
> As far as submitting bug reports: That's my fault. I didn't submit a
> bug report, but with so many people who are more than willing to dish
> out insults and bile (which I've encountered before)  I'll just decide
> not to give back sometimes.

Hm? I've never worked with debian lists and bugzilla. Are "insults and
bile" a normal part of the interactions with them? I could understand if
you were trying to debug the interface with some commercial software,
since debian tends to be quite rabidly opposed to any non-FOSS software
<g>.

--
 /\/\
( CR ) Collins Richey