[CLUE-Tech] distro question

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 11:59:34 MDT 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:37:43 -0400
Adam Bultman <adamb at glaven.org> wrote:

> >>I have a surprising tolerance for failure at times; I played with it
> >
> >>endlessly for days if not weeks. I did't run this at home, I ran
> >this>as the only machine I had to use at work.  I *had* to get it
> >running.>
> >>As far as submitting bug reports: That's my fault. I didn't submit a
> >>bug report, but with so many people who are more than willing to
> >dish>out insults and bile (which I've encountered before)  I'll just
> >decide>not to give back sometimes.
> >>

> >Hm? I've never worked with debian lists and bugzilla. Are "insults
> >and bile" a normal part of the interactions with them? I could
> >understand if you were trying to debug the interface with some
> >commercial software, since debian tends to be quite rabidly opposed
> >to any non-FOSS software<g>.
> >

> I shoudl edit my comment; or at least make it more clear: I didn't
> mean debian in particular.  I've had more than enough run-ins with the
>
> typical 'loud, angry, and vociferous' linux users that are the typical
>
> lashers-out on listserves etc that I care to handle.  So, I'm usually
> VERY reluctant to submit anything.

Really? I've had the opposite experience on gentoo-user and linux-users,
the only GP groups I subscribe to. Of course, if you submit HTML mail or
violate the top posting / threading / line-length rules , there are a
few ogres waiting to pounce. And there are a number of know-it-alls on
any list. The occasional troll shows up just to make things interesting.

Then there are idiots (oops, the politically correct term is
dedicated web professionals <g>) like the webmaster for the xfce list.
You can't even subscribe or post or complain about the service if you
happen to have a comcast ip address!

--
 /\/\
( CR ) Collins Richey