[CLUE-Tech] imap, etc., help

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 20:24:42 MDT 2004

Was Re: [CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP

From: Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com>
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:55:38 -0600
Sender: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us

[ SNIPS]

---

I couldn't get by without IMAP these days - I've been using it for 5
years now flawlessly - and I'm always shocked when I find other"computer
people" that have either never tried it or didn't get it to work right
when they did try it.  I'm always willing to help these  people because
I find it a lot easier than pop3 to manage because all my messages are
on the server (where they get reguarly backed up) vs on my machine where
I could lose them with a drive crash.  Also, checking mail from multiple
locations - I find IMAP a must have feature.

---

OK, Mike, I'll belly up to the bar and ask for help. I've never
worked with anything other than Sylpheed and (ouch!) OutHouse
Express). Here's my setup and what I'd like to do. Your help will
certainly be appreciated, and perhaps others will benefit as well.

1. I have three machines
    A gentoo desktop
    A WinXP machine for the wife
    A dual boot latop (WinXP and gentoo)
2. I'm on comcast with a netgear router and hard-wired ethernet lan.
3. I have three email accounts (actually four, but my daughter will be
using that at college) - wife, me, and my real estate business account.
4. Right now, the WinXP box reads the wife's mail (OutHouse Express),
the desktop reads my mail (Sylpheed), and the laptop boots to WinXP to
read my real estate business mail(just because some of the real estate
functions require windows) using Mozilla.
5. All the mail accounts are POP3.

Here's what I would like to do:

1. Unrelated to this, is it possible to add an additional wireless
connection into the mix? My laptop has builtin wireless.

2. Retrieve all the mail on the desktop box and store as imap.

3. Add some spam filtering and virus trashing (since some of the mail is
destined for WinXP).

4. Retrieve mail from imap on any machine using a browser interface.

5. Eventually have an encrypted interface to allow the latop to use the
browser interface from outside my lan. Maybe this isn't possible with
the comcast contract?

6. Have the same setup ready to go as backup on the laptop.

Your thoughts, please. Anyone else jump in, too.

--
 /\/\
( CR ) Collins Richey