[CLUE-Tech] imap, etc., help

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 21:10:12 MDT 2004

I'd like to also put in my support for IMAP, it's kewl as all Hell. Ran
UW-IMAP on an SGI box for 5+ years at my last employer; my official
company mail went directly to it (bypassing Exchange) and I accessed my
mail from the SGI workstation itself, from other machines on the
corporate network, and from machines on my home network (I connected via
ISDN into my employer's network, they were my ISP for years). Copies of
my outgoing mail were saved on the SGI box, too.

But I gave up on using Netscape/Mozilla for mail YEARS ago! The UNIX
variants of Netscape are just plain buggy as Hell, there's no better
explanation. Fireflop (or whatever they call it today) is a drastic
improvement and I guess Mozilla isn't so bad but I don't have years of
experience with those products to be able to tell for sure.

Regardless, I will NOT use those products AGAIN to deal with mail! My
favorite GUI-dependent mailer since the mid-late 1990s has been TkRat
(http://www.tkrat.org/). Certainly not the fanciest thing out there,
doesn't have any eye candy and pretty icons and drag-n-drop and a few
other things I'd find convenient but reliability & stability vastly
outweighs everything else. Tried that Ximian Evolution thing several
times over the years, it STILL seems to have problems with word wrap
when resuming composition of previously saved messages. That's a show-
stopper for me. Non-gui stuff, I guess it's mutt these days; elm merged
into mutt and was basically abandoned and was never made Y2K compatible.
Pine, no... I don't want a mail client AND a News reader; besides, it
seemed too hard to use.

Anyway, I'm drifting...

On 11 Jun, Collins Richey wrote:

> 1. Unrelated to this, is it possible to add an additional wireless
> connection into the mix? My laptop has builtin wireless.

I don't see why not. IMAP is just a protocol, the physical network stuff
shouldn't matter.

> 2. Retrieve all the mail on the desktop box and store as imap.

OK, easy enough.

> 3. Add some spam filtering and virus trashing (since some of the mail
> is destined for WinXP).

procmail for SPAM and filtering and categorizing and organizing, not
sure about the virus stuff, you'd have to look around.