[CLUE-Tech] unable to see cdrom - debian linux,

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jun 16 17:29:08 MDT 2004

Brandon N wrote:
> Ryan,
> There is probably something in the kernel missing that is needed for
> your drive.

That would be the ide-cd driver.  The woody 2.4 kernels are more modular
than the 2.2.

> I would recommend using make-kpkg to build your own
> kernel.  It is very easy to do, and that way you get only the modules
> you want, and it creates a debian package of the new kernel.

I would say that building and maintaining your own kernel is
considerably more work than configuring the cdrom.

Try this (as root):

modprobe ide-cd

Then if you can mount /cdrom, put this line in your modules.conf:

alias /dev/cdrom ide-cd

(if you have an /etc/modutils directory, put that line in
/etc/modutils/aliases and run update-modules as root).

HTH,