[CLUE-Tech] cheap/free certificate authorities

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sat Jun 19 09:41:38 MDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Cann" <j.cann at isuma.org>
To: <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 19:01
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] cheap/free certificate authorities

> On Tuesday 15 June 2004 1:01 pm, Brandon N wrote:
> > Does anyone have experience with free/cheap certificate authorities
> > like cacert.org?
>
> One year ago, I used geotrust (an Equifax company).  At the time, they
were
> the cheapest ($99 per year).  I have needed to use their support to
migrate
> our key into tomcat (from apache).  They were responsive and overall, I've
> been happy with it.  We purchased the Geotrust True Business Id package
which
> allows us to place a 'confidence' icon on our site.  You can see it at
> http://www.tourneysoft.com/
>
> I did notice a few months ago that godaddy.com is offering 'way cheap' SSL
> certs - like $49 a year.  I've used godaddy for DNS registrations and they
> seem like a reputable company; just didn't have a cheap SSL product last
> April.  Otherwise, I probably would go with them today, simply based on
> price.
>
> HTH-
> Jeff
> - --
I've used godaddy.com a few times for domain registration with good results,
and recently registered a new domain with them for a client.  Since this
latest registration, I've had two evening spam calls to that business name
at my personal residence phone (I am on the Colorado no call list).  My
personal phone was no part of the domain registration process (which appears
correctly with biz pone on a whois lookup) but was clearly gleaned from my
personal credit card processing records.  I'm going to be discussing my
displeasure about this with godaddy.com next week.  I'm careful to uncheck
any of the marketing options.

I called back to the spam caller to inquire where they got my personal
number.  The droid working the switchboard directed my call to an extension
where, not surprisingly, it rang for several minutes without an answer.

Frank Whiteley
Greeley