[CLUE-Tech] removing spaces from filenames

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Thu Jun 24 16:08:34 MDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 11:05 -0600, marcus hall wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 07:04:28AM -0600, Dale K. Hawkins wrote:
> > Better?  Sure just about anything!  The shell is nice for simple tasks,
> > but once something goes wrong, you quickly begin to realize that it is a
> > hack of a "programming language".  Any task that I anticipate to be
>
> That's really a bit harsh, don't you think?
>
> bash is perfectly appropriate for getting a simple script together
> and running quickly, and even largish projects can be done in shell
> quite effectively.

That's just my point.  Once you want to do more complex tasks, the shell
just falls short.  Sure, you could use all of the commands which are out
there, but there was a reason Perl was written.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to futz with the space
problem.  Or even something like set difference or set intersection.  I
know it _can_ be done.  Just about any language can accomplish any task.
There is just the matter of "pain" factor.  How many times do I have to
beat my head on the desk trying to get bash to Do The Right Thing(tm).

(That said, I can use bash quite well.  The whole concept of a
programmable command shell used to make me giddy.)

-Dale