[CLUE-Tech] removing spaces from filenames

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Jun 24 17:03:39 MDT 2004

Dale K. Hawkins wrote:

>That's just my point.  Once you want to do more complex tasks, the shell
>just falls short.  Sure, you could use all of the commands which are out
>there, but there was a reason Perl was written.
>
>I can't tell you how many times I have had to futz with the space
>problem.  Or even something like set difference or set intersection.  I
>know it _can_ be done.  Just about any language can accomplish any task.
>There is just the matter of "pain" factor.  How many times do I have to
>beat my head on the desk trying to get bash to Do The Right Thing(tm).

I've always felt like a shell script "should be able to automate
something I would be able to do by typing in commands" and since my
original problem was to remove spaces from filenames--which I would do
by renaming them by hand at the command prompt... this seems to be
exactly what a shell script ought to be able to do... but it's not that
easy.

Angelo