[CLUE-Tech] removing spaces from filenames

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Fri Jun 25 13:49:39 MDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 19:03 -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> original problem was to remove spaces from filenames--which I would do
> by renaming them by hand at the command prompt... this seems to be
> exactly what a shell script ought to be able to do... but it's not that
> easy.

Exactly.  I was trying to rearrange groups of files by certain
attributes.  In one case it was a stack of mp3s the other was digital
pictures.  I could read the information via a shell command, but
transforming that info into a file name, and then doing the renaming is
unnecessarily difficult.  I have a couple of ruby 10-liners to do the
task with error recovery and the works.  Total effort was about 5
minutes each.

-Dale