[CLUE-Tech] Re: [CLUE-Talk] Upcoming Oracle presentations question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 1 05:46:23 MST 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 11:10 PM, Keith Hellman wrote:
> My understanding is that is can't be in stable.  Oracle could certainly
> support a 'non-free' package (at least I think that's the one).  See #5
> of the Debian social contract (http://www.debian.org/social_contract)

Hard to say, but I wouldn't count on non-free always being available.
A fairly good-sized contingent of Debian developers no longer think
it's appropriate to support it.  Others have argued that by removing
it, Debian would be breaking their own published social contract with
their users.  It's been one of the heated debates on debian-devel and
debian-vote this year.

Personally I'm not a voting Debian developer, just a long-time user and
don't really have much of an opinion other than I do see where it would
be difficult to justify asking mirrors to mirror non-free -- paying to
distribute someone else's software that's not truly Free is not in the
goals of many of the high-bandwidth mirrors.

Again, it's not about putting Oracle into Debian, it's about Oracle
supporting Debian.  That could be done with a standard tar.gz
installation, or Oracle can create .deb files just like anyone can and
distribute them themselves.  The lack of .deb's is not the issue at
hand, and Oracle does not need to create them if they don't want to.

The fact that one cannot run Oracle on Debian Linux (or derivatives)
and expect official support from Oracle on that platform choice, is the
issue I'd like to see Oracle address.

Obviously a number of people *do* run Oracle on Debian -- Google
reveals a number of hints and tips -- but those users and sysadmins end
up having to accept that they're not "officially supported", which is
silly.  Linux is Linux.  And the differences between Debian and other
Linux distros is far less than some of the less-popular "specialized"
distros.  Surely supporting HP-UX creates more work for Oracle than
another Linux distro would.  (Hint: There's a HUGE document of HP-UX
kernel-tuning parameters that have to be tweaked to even get Oracle to
RUN correctly on various versions of HP-UX... 30 or so pages of them.
Keeping track of these kernel-tuning parameters must be a massive
undertaking at Oracle in the test lab.  Firing up a copy of Debian and
tests they probably run -- Let's hope anyway! -- would be MUCH easier.
The number of variables (the things you're trying to remove in any test
lab environment) is an order of magnitude lower, I'm almost certain.

Debian is a mainstream Linux distribution and deserves recognition as
such by Oracle.  That's where I'm headed here... that and wondering
aloud why they choose not to support it.

Meanwhile, life and learning go on... Hydrogen Peroxide on the surface
of Mars... "who'd a thunk it?"  :-)  Very anti-life!  Marvin keeps a
pretty clean house, eh?

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com