[CLUE-Tech] Help with a source rpm

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 21:49:09 MST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:41:29 -0700
"Francis X. Maier" <franx at qwest.net> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a pretty basic noob scenario, but here goes:
>
> 1.  I installed Yellow Dog 3.0 on an iMac, and it works just fine.
> But I want to use the net, and my ethernet port is fried, so I need to
>
> install the linux-wlan-ng driver to run my D-link USB wireless
> adapter.
>   To do that, the docs say I should recompile my kernel.  The kernel
> installed by YDL 3.0 is kernel-2.4.20-8d.
>
> 2.  The kernel appears to be installed in my /usr/src directory --
> wherein there are three additional subdirectories:  linux-2.4;
> linux-2.4.20-8d; and rpm.  The first subdirectory (linux-2.4) is
> colored green; the other two are colored blue.  So my assumption is
> that linux-2.4 and the files within it (init, driver, kernel, and so
> on) are the functioning kernel.

/usr/src is the appropriate directory for storing kernel sources.  If
you do an ls -l you will see that the reason that linux-2.4 is colored
differently is that it is a symlink, probably to linux-2.4.20-8d which
is indeed a kernel source tree.

> 3.  I burned a CD containing a new kernel source rpm,
> kernel-2.4.20-8e.src.rpm.
>
> 4.  I became root and mounted the CD, using: mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb
>
> /mnt.
>
> 5.  In order to test what I'm doing, I created a test directory:
> mkdir /home/franx/test.
>
> 6.  I then:  cp /mnt/kernel-2.4.20-8e.src.rpm /home/franx/test.
>
> 7.  I then:  cd /home/franx/test
>
> 8:  I then: ls and see kernel-2.4.20-8e.src.rpm now sitting in my
> /home/franx/test directory.  Great.
>
> 9.  From within that directory, I then:  rpm -iv
> kernel-2.4.20-8e.src.rpm.  I get 10 or 15 lines of "user or group
> dburcaw does not exist, using root," ending in the single line:
> kernel-2.4.20-8e

I can't help you here, maybe check with other Yellow Dog users.  It
sounds like the rpm is malformed or something is wrong with your setup?

> 10.  OK, that seems good.  But when I then try to make menuconfig, or
> even move "kernel-2.4.20-8e" or open it as a directory, I get nothing
> but various "can't do" or "doesn't exist" messages.  What and where is
>
> "kernel-2.4.20-8e"?  What am I doing wrong?

Did the rpm -iv ... actually work?

> 11.  Post script.  I subsequently went to /usr/src/linux-2.4 and
> opened the file "kernel" with the vi text editor.  I saw a line that
> said "kernel-2.4.20-8e."  But the installed iteration is 8d.  Huh?  Am
> I running make menuconfig in the wrong directory or at some wrong
> stage?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Do an ls -l /usr/src.  Maybe the rpm changed the symlink?

What happens if you cd /usr/src/linux-2.4 and issue make menuconfig?

Also please post the actual error messages you are getting.

--
Collins Richey - Denver area
gentoo testing 2.6.3-rc2 nptl udev