[CLUE-Tech] Install question

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Sun Mar 7 20:04:38 MST 2004

Francis X. Maier wrote:

> Folks,
>
> 1. I downloaded the source code src-linux-2.4-tss.tar.bz2 from
> ppckernel.org to compile a new kernel for my Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.
>
> 2. I unzipped and untarred the code to my /usr/src directory so that I
> now have a /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss subdirectory. I also created a
> 'linux' symlink, but 'linux' was colored red and did not show up as a
> directory. That struck me as a bad omen.
>
> 3. I did a cd into /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss,; ran 'make xconfig' and
> everything worked well through and including "make modules_install.'
> But when I then tried to run 'make install,' I got this message:
> 'Make: ***No rule to make target 'install.' *** Stop.'
>
> 4. So then I went back to /usr/src and deleted the red-colored symlink
> 'linux.' I created a new symlink 'linux.' This time it is green and
> shows up as a directory with subdirectories like arch, vmlinux, etc.
>
> 5. Nonetheless, no matter whether I run 'make install' in the linux
> symlink or in the original src--linux-2.4-tss directory, I still get
> the 'Make: *** No rule . . . .' message.
>
> I know I'm close. What am I doing wrong?

You can't do "make install" for the kernel.  You need to copy the kernel
to its destination, which I assume is /boot, so I think you probably
need to do something like this:

cp arch/ppc/boot/bzImage   /boot

I suggest that you rename bzImage when you copy it.  This lets you boot
the old kernel, if necessary.

Then update /etc/lilo.conf, grub, or whatever bootloader you are using.
Don't remove the section that boots your old kernel until you know that
the new one works!