[CLUE-Tech] Install question

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 7 20:27:18 MST 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:12:45 -0700
"Francis X. Maier" <franx at qwest.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> 1.  I downloaded the source code src-linux-2.4-tss.tar.bz2 from
> ppckernel.org to compile a new kernel  for my Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.
>
> 2.  I unzipped and untarred the code to my /usr/src directory so that
> I now have a /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss subdirectory.  I also created
> a 'linux' symlink, but 'linux' was colored red and did not show up as
> a directory.  That struck me as a bad omen.
>
> 3.  I did a cd into /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss,; ran 'make xconfig'
> and everything worked well through and including "make
> modules_install.'  But when I then tried to run 'make install,'   I
> got this message:  'Make:  ***No rule to make target 'install.' ***
> Stop.'

Here is the kernel build procedure.

1. Become root and cd to /usr/src/linux... (the source tree).

2. Save your .config and issue 'make mrproper' (optional, usually only
needed if you are changing from smp to non-smp, etc.) then copy back
your ,config.  This procedure wipes out .config, so save it first!

3. Issue 'make menuconfig' or 'make xconfig', then select 'load' your
existing config, then make changes, then exit and save.  I always make a
copy of .config as config-keep and a copy as /root/config-keep, just to
be sure it doesn't get lost.

4. Issue 'make dep'. (This step is omitted for a 2.6 kernel).

5. Issue 'make bzImage modules modules_install' (for 2.4 kernels).
    Issue 'make all modules_install' (for 2.6 kernels).

6. Copy your System.map and bzimage to /boot (if /boot is a separate
partition, be sure it's mounted), sample

cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.?-new
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.?

Pick a name that doesn't overlay your existing kernel.

7. Update your bootloader (don't have a clue about Yellow Dog) with a
new stanza to boot the new kernel.

8. If you have added any modules, update the modules/aliases
configuration (don't have a clue for Yellow Dog) - probably a /etc/...
file.

8. Reboot and enjoy.

Good luck.
--