[CLUE-Tech] Install question

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Sun Mar 7 20:40:27 MST 2004

Francis X. Maier wrote:
> Folks,
>
> 1. I downloaded the source code src-linux-2.4-tss.tar.bz2 from
> ppckernel.org to compile a new kernel for my Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.
>
> 2. I unzipped and untarred the code to my /usr/src directory so that I
> now have a /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss subdirectory. I also created a
> 'linux' symlink, but 'linux' was colored red and did not show up as a
> directory. That struck me as a bad omen.
>
> 3. I did a cd into /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss,; ran 'make xconfig' and
> everything worked well through and including "make modules_install.' But
> when I then tried to run 'make install,' I got this message: 'Make:
> ***No rule to make target 'install.' *** Stop.'
>
> 4. So then I went back to /usr/src and deleted the red-colored symlink
> 'linux.' I created a new symlink 'linux.' This time it is green and
> shows up as a directory with subdirectories like arch, vmlinux, etc.
>
> 5. Nonetheless, no matter whether I run 'make install' in the linux
> symlink or in the original src--linux-2.4-tss directory, I still get the
> 'Make: *** No rule . . . .' message.
>
> I know I'm close. What am I doing wrong?

i don't know about yellow dog specifically (but i doubt it matters) but
the string i use for 2.4.x kernel builds here on gentoo x96 is:

make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

IIRC there is no make install for kernel builds, which is why you're
getting what you're getting. if you want to build the kernel without
modules just do 'make bzImage' and the kernel should be in
/usr/src/linux/arch/$arch/boot/bzImage (where $arch == your comptuer
architecture, i386 for me, something like ppc for you?) just mount /boot
and backup your old kernel and move the new bzImage to boot. edit
lilo.conf to include your old kernel, run lilo, reboot. pray it works,
if not boot off the old kernel.

HTH,
    Evan