[CLUE-Tech] Burning DVD-Rom's Under Linux

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Sun Mar 14 17:53:23 MST 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:30:18 -0700
Richard Knechtel <rknechte at starband.net> wrote:

> For a while now I have been trying to burn DVD-Rom's (Not DVD-Video) under
> Linux. I have overcome the issue of findout out I needed to have an EXT3
> file system to create images bigger than 2Gig.  I have some things on
> DVD-Ram (Panasonic LF-D201) that I want to put to DVD-Rom as well as data
> files I want to burn from a directory to DVD-Rom.  I can create an image
> using DD from the DVD-Ram, but haven't been able to get my burner (Plextor
> PX-708A Dual format burner (DVD-R/+R, DVD-RW/+RW).  Does anyone know how to
> do this. I have downloaded the CDRTools and the DVDRTools, and some other
> stuff but haven't been able to burn a DVD-Rom yet. I was told I had to
> recompile MKISOFS for large file support is this right?  I am running SuSe
> 8.2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're looking for the simplest answer, upgrade to SUSE 9. I've
burned a couple of data DVDs using SUSE 9 + K3b.

If I understand correctly, cdrtools doesn't support burning full DVDs
because the author has pushed the code into a proprietary product for
DVDs and you have to have a key of some sort to get the binaries to
work. There is a "clone" project, I believe, which is what comes with
SUSE 9. (I may be a bit off here, the cdrtools website isn't exactly
clear...)

Best,
Zonker
--
"A leader is best when people barely know that he exists,
less good when they obey and acclaim him, worse when they