[CLUE-Tech] Sound Woes

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Wed Mar 17 22:39:14 MST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:13:43 -0700
Nathan Hokanson <nathan at redfactor.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRX560 (Laptop), and normally I would post this
> question to the sony-linux group, but the problem is not hardware
> related, so I thought I would come here for some help.
>
> Recently I got the laptop back from the service department after they
> replaced my back-light.  Since part of the "service" is wiping the
> hard drive and re-installing the "default" OS (XP Home ... who's idea
> was that!!!), I had decided to try out SuSe 9.0.  It had good reviews
> on the sony-linux as working pretty much out of the box.  I used to
> run Mandrake (and was very satisfied, but wanted to try out a new
> distro)....
>
> Long story, I know, but it helps to preface the problem.
>
> When I play music in XMMS with alsa it starts out ok, but then starts
> to click every second or so, then the clicks begin to build up and
> pretty soon, even though you can hear the music, it is very distorted.
>
> When I turn off alsa and use the OSS plugin music stays clear most of
> the time, but distortion creeps in once in a while, but seems to be
> corrected quickly.

I have a GRX-600. I also had this problem with alsa but fixed it as
follows in XMMS Preferences dialog:

Audio I/O Plugins:
	Output plugin:
		ALSA 0.9 output plugin [libALSO.so]

Configure with:
	Device settings tab:
		Audio device Intel 82801CA-ICH3
		User defined NOT checked
		Mixer card 0
		Mixer device /dev/dsp
	Advanced settings:
		Buffer time 700 (was default for me)
		Period time 50 (was default for me)
		Mmap mode NOT checked

I think the Mmap mode setting caused the problem. You will need to
restart XMMS for the settings to take.

> I know this is not a hardware issue because sound works correctly in
> XP Home.

There is actually a harware problem with this model where the CD-ROM is
concerned. Most CD-ROM cards in a desktop computer can be hardwired
directly to the sound card(with the cable). In this laptop, the output
from the CD-ROM goes to some dumb software mixer chip before it goes
back out to the sound output. card. XMMS goes out to the same mixer card
chip.

When playing a CD-ROM through XMMS on a desktop, everything works just
fine. However, through this particular laptop, you need jump through
several hoops to get the sound working.

Match