[CLUE-Tech] multiple graphical logins

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Fri Mar 19 21:10:43 MST 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:16:07 +0000 (UTC)
Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> For two days now I've been trying to remember how to add an extra
> graphical terminal on my computer (at F8).  I had done this before, but it
> took up too many resources, so I changed it back.  Although not totally
> useful, I'd still like to know how I did it...  I keep looking at inittab,
> I remember there's a line in a file somewhere under /etc where you can
> change the number of graphical terminals.
>
> Can anyone give me a pointer?

You can start a second X session by running:

startx -- :1

Though I can't promise that it'll be entirely stable... I have managed
to crash X when trying to run two sessions simultaneously on the same
computer, though it might have something to do with running YaST2 to
configure a secondary pointing device...

Best,
Zonker
--
Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober,
responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and