[CLUE-Tech] multiple graphical logins

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Mar 19 21:58:44 MST 2004

On Fri 19 March 2004 17:16, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> For two days now I've been trying to remember how to add an extra
> graphical terminal on my computer (at F8).  I had done this before, but it
> took up too many resources, so I changed it back.  Although not totally
> useful, I'd still like to know how I did it...  I keep looking at inittab,
> I remember there's a line in a file somewhere under /etc where you can
> change the number of graphical terminals.
>
> Can anyone give me a pointer?

So do you mean via 'startx' or via KDM/GDM/XDM?

Via a virtual console, type:

startx -- :1

And with a login manager, there is a file to edit.  For KDM it is
in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xserver.  It *think* the file is still called Xserver under
XDM or GDM, but will be in a different place.  Add a line for a second vt in
that file (see below).

Begin /etc/kde3/kdm/Xserver
=====================
# Xservers - local X-server list
#
# This file should contain an entry to start the server on the
# local display; if you have more than one display (not screen),
# you can add entries to the list (one per line).
# If you also have some X terminals connected which do not support XDMCP,
# you can add them here as well; you will want to leave those terminals
# on and connected to the network, else kdm will have a tougher time
# managing them. Each X terminal line should look like:
#       XTerminalName:0 foreign
#

:0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
#:1 local at tty2 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8   #Uncomment!
#:2 local at tty3 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :2 vt9
#:3 local at tty4 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :3 vt10
#:4 local at tty5 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :4 vt11

HTH,
Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==