[CLUE-Tech] multiple graphical logins

Bill Gjestvang bill at uncultured.org
Sat Mar 20 21:43:58 MST 2004

If you're running gdm, I have two suggestions:

I believe (though I haven't tested) that in gdm.conf, in the
  [servers]
section, you can just add a line:
  1=Standard
(You should already have on that says "0=Standard".)

Secondly, there is a very cool little program called "gdmflexiserver".  If
you run that while logged into an X session (doesn't have to be gnome), it
will launch a new gdm instance on another screen.  My wife and I use it
all the time, since we both use the same computer.
I'm running kde 3.2.1 on Gentoo, and it shows up in the KDE menu under
"System" as "New login".  There's also "New login in a nested window",
which is actually the command "gdmflexiserver --xnest", which gives you a
whole new gdm login and your desktop of choice within an ordinary window
of your current WM.
You switch between them like normal, CTRL-ALT-F8 or CTRL-ALT-F7.  Also,
you need this set up in your gdm.conf, though in mine it was on by
default.  In "[server-Standard]", you need "flexible=true", and in
"[daemon]", you need "FlexibleXServers=5"
-Bill Gjestvang