[CLUE-Tech] GDM and remote graphical logins

Bill Gjestvang bill at uncultured.org
Mon Mar 22 16:27:26 MST 2004

Looks to me like uncommenting "ChooserButton=true" in your gdm.conf should
do the trick.
However, xdmcp is not secure.  It passes passwords in the clear, from my
understanding.  Here are some comments from gdm's own config file:
"# XDMCP is the protocol that allows remote login.  If you want to log into
# gdm remotely (I'd never turn this on on open network, use ssh for such
# remote usage that)."

"# Distributions: Ship with this off.  It is never a safe thing to leave
# out on the net.  Setting up /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to only
# allow local access is another alternative but not the safest.
# Firewalling port 177 is the safest if you wish to have xdmcp on.
# Read the manual for more notes on the security of XDMCP."

-Bill Gjestvang