[CLUE-Tech] NAT blocks P2P?

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Mar 22 22:08:53 MST 2004

On Mon 22 March 2004 18:30, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> Referring to this from the Politech mailing list:
> http://politechbot.com/pipermail/politech/2004-March/000524.html
>
> John Walker claims that increases in the use of NATted addressing by
> high-speed providers will eventually kill P2P connections on the internet.
>
> Since I'm no NAT guru, I wonder if this is really true? I understand that
> in order to establish a P2P connection, each box has to send out, or
> otherwise establish, its address, which isn't the same as the routing
> interface where NAT is happening. But I'd think there'd be a way for a NAT
> interface to somehow figure out that connection x is intended for a
> particular address/port on the "inside". IOW, the P2P request would be
> directed to the NAT interface, which ought to be able to figure out what
> do with it, based on recognizing the protocol, or which port the request
> comes in on.
>
> So, I'm just wondering.
>
> jed

I'm no NAT expert either.  But both mine and my wife's machines are behind a
firewall that does NAT.  Both have ports opened up that allow them to
function just fine with P2P networks.  It's quite simple to assign each
machine, as its public interface, the IP address of my firewall, each with a
different port.  At least it is simple with GTK-Gnutella.  And it seems to
work just fine.

I must be mistunderstanding him.
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==