[CLUE-Tech] NAT blocks P2P?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Mar 22 22:10:01 MST 2004

I think the idea is that this will hinder P2P when the chances of both
sides being behind a NAT box increase.  Of course there is a way to do
this: VPN.  Which is probably what will happen.  NAT is used to increase
the namespace of IP addresses, and a VPN reduces them--but gives you the
choice of which ones to include.  No, I don't think P2P will die because
of this.  At home people will use port forwarding.  I think as long as a
small subset of people are not behind a NAT box or are using port
forwarding, everyone can be connected through built-in VPN in the P2P
clients.