[CLUE-Tech] NAT blocks P2P?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Mar 24 00:01:41 MST 2004

You're right, the main problem is when both sides are behind a NAT you
lose end-to-end connectivity.  The problem with port forwarding is if
there are two users behind the NAT who want to do the same thing, they
cannot listen on the same outside port.  But I believe this is a
necessary trade-off.  You can't increase the namespace of IP addresses
endlessly without restrictions.

But I don't think it's a problem.  All it takes is one or more nodes to
be "visible" and the problem can be solved by using them as a resource
to connect other nodes which are behind NAT.