[CLUE-Tech] Mozilla and Amazon.com

Greg Knaddison greg at knaddison.com
Wed Mar 24 07:32:20 MST 2004

David Anselmi wrote:

> put about:config into your Mozilla location bar.  Scroll down to
> general.useragent.override.  Context menu -> Modify and set it to
> Mozilla/4.0 (MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0) which will mimic IE.

If you use a more recent version of Mozilla (e.g. 1.6 or Firefox) you
can use the UserAgent Switcher extension which is a toolbar control for
this sort of thing.  It provides a dropdown and you can set your UA
string to a variety of useful items from the toolbar without having to
dig into your about:config  See http://extensionroom.mozdev.org for more
details.

> I don't expect this to work for you, but you can try it.  You could
> also try a different browser like Opera.

Opera seems even less likely to work since it supports fewer of the
"non-standard-standards" than Mozilla does, but it's worth a shot.
Opera also has a user-agent switcher available via the context menu
(right click) or the QuickPref (alt+P) if memory serves correctly.

Good luck with your standards evangelism!

Greg