[CLUE-Tech] Mozilla and Amazon.com

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Mar 23 22:34:40 MST 2004

Stephen Lehr wrote:
[...]
> I still want to sell books and I'd rather not use MS Windows - any
> advice about bending Amazon to my will?

Assuming the problem is their code checking your browser and preventing
something (rather than code that doesn't work in Mozilla, period):

put about:config into your Mozilla location bar.  Scroll down to
general.useragent.override.  Context menu -> Modify and set it to
Mozilla/4.0 (MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0) which will mimic IE.

This gets me around sites that do checking for IE features and deny
others.  But I've had problems on sites that send different javascript
based on browser.  Then I get the IE version that doesn't work.

I don't expect this to work for you, but you can try it.  You could also
try a different browser like Opera.