[CLUE-Tech] DNS updates

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Mar 25 19:26:10 MST 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I was wondering if I could get any advice or if someone could point me in
> the right direction for updating DNS entries.  We don't run a DNS server
> but we have access to one through an online web interface.  The web
> interface is pretty cumbersome and makes a lot of assumptions.  I've heard
> tell that there are other ways of automating or doing remote DNS updates
> to a DNS server.  I was wondering if anyone had any information on that or
> could tell me where to look first.

Do you have any other access besides the web interface?  If not you're
stuck with the "API" they give you.  You might be able to automate
generating POSTs to get the job done but it might also be a lot of work.

Is the web interface Open Source, or widely used, or standard at all?

Here's a link to how I do dynamic updates:

http://zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html

(read the Unix Clients part of 3.)

If that's no help, you might also consider switching to Zoneedit.  They
seem pretty cheap, the web interface is good for me (allows bulk uploads
too, though I don't need that), and they seem pretty friendly (I once
got a tech support answer from them even though I wasn't paying anything).

HTH,