[CLUE-Tech] ATI card driver question

Francis X. Maier franx at qwest.net
Thu Mar 25 22:18:29 MST 2004

I'm running Yellow Dog 3.0 (basically, Red Hat for Macs) on an original
333 iMac with an ATI Rage 128 card (AGP slot, I think).

When I do "glxgears," I get between 80 and 100 FPS on the 3D spinning
wheels image.  That's good, right?

But when I run "glxinfo | grep rendering," I get this message:

[root at dannyp root]# glxinfo | grep rendering
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No

I've gone into /etc/X11/XF86Config and uncommented "load DRI," per info
I've found on the web.  It apparently has no effect.

I've also tried substituting the "r128" driver for the "fbdev" driver
in the XF86Config file, but then my xserver won't start and I'm stuck
in text display.  The card only seems happy with "fbdev" as the driver.
   (I haven't tried the "ati" driver -- couldn't find any references to
that driver working with this card on the web).

Anyone have any suggestions for getting 3D hardware acceleration to
work in this situation?  I've gone to the ATI site, but their Linux
drivers all seem to be for the higher end Radeon cards.

Thanks in advance!