[CLUE-Tech] ATI card driver question

Bill Gjestvang bill at uncultured.org
Fri Mar 26 10:37:27 MST 2004

You'll need to use the r128 driver to get 3D acceleration.  Here are some
suggestions to get it working:
Try stripping down your Device and/or Monitor sections to the basics.  A
recent version of XFree should autodetect the rest.  Example:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"   # keep what name your config already has
        Driver      "r128"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        BoardName   "ATI Rage 128"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "E220-2"
        # Your monitor will probably autodetect, but you can specify with
        #     the following 2 lines:
        #HorizSync    30.0 - 97.0
        #VertRefresh  50.0 - 180.0
EndSection

Make sure your kernel has the Rage 128 DRI/DRM driver, either as module or
built in.  (r128.o is the module name.)  The module should load
automatically when X runs if you're using the r128 driver and dri.
-Bill Gjestvang