[CLUE-Tech] SuSe 9.0

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Fri Mar 26 16:43:35 MST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Mike Staver wrote:

> for a text only server with no graphical logins.  I love the YaST tool,
> but I don't think I can use that via a console, correct?  That leaves me
> with 2 questions:

If by "console" you mean something like "xterm" or "terminal emulator"
YaST2 works fine.  You have to tab through the various buttons/pulldowns
etc, but it works.  I did it for a year, administering 3 machines in Boston
from Denver.

> 1) What is the best alternative to YaST in Suse?  I know how to use RPM,
> but I've heard a lot of people criticize it for various reasons, so I'm
> curious as to what other people use on Suse.

YaST and RPM are kind of different, right?  RPM is a format and a program
for packaging software.  YaST manages a machine's configuration.

> 2) How long does Suse support each release with updates for security
> holes in various packages?

They supported 7.3 from about 2001 until the end of 2003, I think.  Maybe
3 years?