[CLUE-Tech] SuSe 9.0

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Sat Mar 27 00:35:40 MST 2004

>>for a text only server with no graphical logins.  I love the YaST tool,
>>but I don't think I can use that via a console, correct?  That leaves me
>>with 2 questions:
>>

>If by "console" you mean something like "xterm" or "terminal emulator"
>YaST2 works fine.  You have to tab through the various buttons/pulldowns
>etc, but it works.  I did it for a year, administering 3 machines in Boston
>from Denver.

Right - I meant over ssh, sorry if I wasn't clear.

>>1) What is the best alternative to YaST in Suse?  I know how to use RPM,
>>but I've heard a lot of people criticize it for various reasons, so I'm
>>curious as to what other people use on Suse.
>>

>YaST and RPM are kind of different, right?  RPM is a format and a program
>for packaging software.  YaST manages a machine's configuration.

Yeah, I meant used to go to redhat.com and find the updates, download
and save them, and use rpm to install them.  I guess with Yast, all I
have to do is have it check for me, download for me, and install me.  I
didn't realize I could run it without a gui - that impresses me.

>>2) How long does Suse support each release with updates for security
>>holes in various packages?
>>

>They supported 7.3 from about 2001 until the end of 2003, I think.  Maybe
>3 years?

Very cool - I think I'll keep using it, I can't find anything I don't
like about it yet!  Thanks for all the info everybody.