[CLUE-Tech] named & Suse 9

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Mar 29 00:13:49 MST 2004

>> SUSE is an excellent product, but I hate with a passion those automatic,
>> do-all-with-magic functions like yast(2). As you can see now, even if it
>> works you have to dig to see what happened. Maybe you could find all the
>> files changed in /etc on the date you made the change. If you didn't
>> change it, then it must have been yast(2).
>

> It's not nearly as bad as having a registry.  Try:
>
> find /etc -type f | xargs grep -l 64.242.89.254
>
> and you'll likely find the file yast changed.  Understanding how SuSE
> brings the network up and down is probably a useful thing if you plan
> to use it for a while.

Thanks Dave, I did do that, and here are my results for anybody curious
about Suse:

kenny:/home/staver # find /etc -type f | xargs grep -l 64.242.89.254
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/network/routes

Then, this is the content of the routes file:
default 64.242.89.254 - -

The only reason ifcfg-eth0 comes up is because I added the gateway to
that file by hand.  So, the only place Suse looks for it is this routes
file apparently.  I'm not sure what the -'s mean on the end though.