[CLUE-Tech] email address hijacked by spammers

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Tue Mar 30 17:26:01 MST 2004

Well, the unthinkable has finally happened to me.  I've had this email
address for nearly 7 years now and I've been able to cope with all the
spam I get using spamassassin and thunderbird filters, but this is
different.  It appears that last night some spammer(s) began using my
address as the 'From' on their spams.

So today, I am getting bombarded with 'recipient not found' and 'this
message was rejected because it is spam' messages.  I don't know who I'm
more pissed off at, the spammer(s) who hijacked my email or the idiots
who reply to every spam message saying "this is spam".. You'd think that
if they were smart enough to set up a spam filter that they would
realize that spammers FORGE the From address and not bother replying to
it.. *sigh*.  The ones that did send me a rejection sometimes included
the headers of the sent message which let me see what hosts were
originating the messages.  However, by the time I get the rejections and
start trying to investigate those hosts, they have already pulled the
plug and switched IP addresses.

This is driving me NUTS.  I can deal with spam, but this crap is over my
limit of tolerance.

Anyway, before I kill this address, which has a mind boggling number of
important ties to it including domain registrations and list servers, I
wanted to solicit some opions about what other people may have done in
this situation..

I'm considering doing to the following:

A) wait and see if they give up using my address ( I assume this is not
likely to happen )

B) create a new single address and use multiple receive aliases.  This
way I can change the aliases easier than changing my account.  Only
problem here seems to be that most lists won't let you send from a
different address than your "to" address, which I would be doing in this
case.

or

C) create multiple accounts.  One for each list I'm on, one for domain
registrations, one for personal email, etc.  This is by far the most
burdensome for me since I could see myself having 5 or 6 different
accounts to set up and maintain.  But, at least I could tell which one
was compromised and only have to change a more limited number of
subscriptions, etc.

Please help!  Thanks for any advice.

-Dan