[CLUE-Tech] email address hijacked by spammers

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Mar 30 22:36:56 MST 2004

Dan - sorry to hear you got jacked by some punk ass spammer, I feel for
you.  I think you're on the right track about having one email address
and only handing out aliases for it. I have several for my email
account, but for things like domain registration and this list, I give
out my real one... maybe that's dumb, I dunno.  But when signing up for
mails from my bank, credit card, ebay, etc, I use aliases.  If you can
make them specific, that's all the better.  For example, I would use
bankcard at fimble.com for my checking account... ebay at fimble.com for
ebay... etc.  So, if one gets jacked, it's less hassle to blow away one
alias than all of them.  The only issue you're still going to face is
wasted bandwidth and server resources for invalid email addresses at
your domain.  So, if you *really* want to get crafty, set up a second
domain.  If things get crazy like they did today, all you have to do is
point the domain mx record at oh, let's say a cname of www.microsoft.com
:)  So, it's there bandwidth getting wasted, not yours.  Or, if you
don't have a grudge against anyone, simply point the name at a
nonexistent IP address.