[CLUE-Tech] Fedora Core 1 on a 4Gig HDD?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue May 4 19:38:56 MDT 2004

William wrote:

>In booting from CD-ROM and using the GUI Anaconda to attempt a Minimal installation of Fedora onto
>a small box with a single 4Gig HDD fails during the copy/install phase.  The error it throws seems
>to indicate insufficient drive space.  (Aside:  The Anaconda installer should check HDD
>requirements *before* attempting to copy files.)
>
>I'd still like to get a fundamental Fedora on this box with it's meager 4Gig HDD.  Can this be
>done?  How?
>
>Thanks all!

A friend who makes a "minimized" version of RH8 for a project I work on
recently did tests to see how small he could get a "stock" Fedora and I
know he got it into about 1.5G recently -- I don't think you have your
partition sizes right if it's really dying because of disk space...?

He's frustrated because most of that is silly dependencies on things
that have compile-time options to build without them, but the apps are
built (as they probably should be, coming from Fedora directly) with
every shared library under the sun....

He was hoping for much smaller.

Someone posted in one of my mailing lists recently a link to a site that
specializes in tiny Fedora installs.  Hmmm, where was that... (hunting
through e-mail)... I'll find it... somewhere... arghhh.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com