[CLUE-Tech] Fedora Core 1 on a 4Gig HDD?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed May 5 07:16:14 MDT 2004

William wrote:
[...]
> I like the thought of the HDD being physically bad; it is quite old.  Can I test the drive surface
> from the Fedora install CD-ROMs?  No... I suppose not.  Any recommendations?

badblocks -[nw] will do a surface test.  Your symptoms don't sound like
a bad block though.  They don't really sound like a bad drive either but
who knows?

You should be able to get a testing program from the drive vendor that
will do the various things they know how to do.  You might need a DOS
boot floppy or other siliness to run it.