[CLUE-Tech] socat and serial line discipline?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon May 10 11:26:15 MDT 2004

Hi Dave,

David Anselmi wrote:

> Jim Ockers wrote:
> [...]
> > My question has to do with setting the serial port
> > baud rate and line discipline.
>
> Did you look at setserial?  That seems to be the way to do it (if it
> supports your UART.  If you're really running over 400kbps it may not
> (and maybe slowing down until you get it working would be helpful).

I already do use setserial to tune the serial driver so it properly
drives the hardware, and sets the uart baud rate divisor etc.

The baud rate, line discipline, etc. are all application stuff and
not something you can set in the serial driver for a given file
descriptor of a serial port.

Think of it this way - would you want setserial to fix the port to a
certain baud rate so that applications could only open it at that
one baud rate?

> Serial ports seem fairly mysterious so you might need getty or some
> other glue piece to make it work.  Good luck.

I agree.  I wasn't sure how to do that, esp. for both ends of the
connection, so I thought I'd ask the list.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/