[CLUE-Tech] socat and serial line discipline?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon May 10 11:43:35 MDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 11:04:30 -0600
David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Serial ports seem fairly mysterious

Really! Does it mark me as a genuine computer-fogey if I remember working
on machines which had nothing but serial ports for login?

Ah, those were the days. To get 9600 baud, you needed a leased line from
the telco, and you ran an 8-port mux at either end through a synchronous
modem to share that 9600 baud among up to 8 terminals.

These days, setting up a dial-in modem seems almost quaint. But it
shouldn't be mysterious. But then I've never tried to do it under any
Unix-type OS. My serial-line experience is almost all on DEC machines,
running RSTS, RSX, or VMS.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/