[CLUE-Tech] removing spaces from filenames

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Sun May 16 07:04:28 MDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 14:35 -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Right now I"m thinking about piping find through sed and using mv to
> rename all the files without spaces, but I wanted to see if anyone else
> had something better...

Better?  Sure just about anything!  The shell is nice for simple tasks,
but once something goes wrong, you quickly begin to realize that it is a
hack of a "programming language".  Any task that I anticipate to be
anything more than trivial, makes me reach for a "real" language
(currently Ruby tops my list, but Python, Perl, or even emacs lisp have
got to be better than bash).  Seriously, though bash is the shiniest
rock amongst a pile of coal.

-Dale